Sedona's Sterling Pass to Vultee Arch (I Puked)

My stepdad (left), Me (center), and my aunt (right) on Vultee Arch


Have you ever seen photographs of Vultee Arch? You may have mistaken it for Devil's Bridge at first-glance until you realized, "oh shit, there's literally no one else there!"
Unlike it's more popular cousin, Devil's Bridge, Vultee Arch is a lesser-traveled/visited trail and arch in Sedona. Let me tell you the reason it's not as popular as Devil's Bridge...

You have to get there first.

What I mean is, it's a pain in the ass to get to this spot.
You either have to drive a super high-clearance 4wd there (we tried in my 4wd cherokee and just barely made it 3/4 of the way before turning back) or you have to park on a busy road, hike over 6 miles and climb over 155 floors to get there. 

I obviously chose the latter. I did not want to have to call AAA to come out to Dry Creek Road. That would have been expensive. Instead, I parked along 89A just south of Slide Rock State Park, and started my hike along Sterling Pass Trail. 

Sterling Pass is absolutely beautiful when you get a chance to look up and actually take it all in. This is a super steep trail that takes you up through a narrow pass and back down through a canyon to Vultee Arch trail. The climb rivals some of the steeper switchbacks in Grand Canyon National Park, although the trail is much shorter. It's not for the faint of heart. 


My Aunt Claire looking out toward 89a from Sterling Pass


Once you descend the other side of the pass to Vultee Arch, the arch will be visible on your right-hand side and marked by a sign that you literally can't miss unless you're me. I literally missed it the first time I hiked this trail by myself and ended up at the trailhead for Vultee Arch, about 2 miles in the opposite direction. Don't ever hike with me.

Vultee Arch is a sight to behold. Follow the trail upward to the top of the natural bridge and if you're brave, you can even walk across it. If you keep your eyes peeled, you may spot the plaque that commemorates this area to Gerard and Sylvia Vultee, a husband and wife who lost their lives in an airplane crash in 1938 just a short distance north of the arch. 

Take it all in before you head back up the pass. The Vultee side is definitely the better-maintained side of trail of Sterling Pass but it's always much more difficult going back. Pack lots of water and enough snacks. Bring a headlamp (always bring a headlamp). 

The canyon walls help cover the sun in the early and late hours so you will lose daylight much faster on this trail than within other canyons. Don't make the same mistake I did. The first time I hiked this trail I didn't plan accordingly and totally forgot my headlamp. I definitely had to run back up the pass before I lost daylight and may have puked along the way (I totally puked along the way). I thought because of my first experience that I would have a much easier time going back, after having planned better. I was wrong, so wrong! It was definitely easier but still very difficult. I don't recommend this trail to beginners or even moderate hikers. Make sure you know this is a difficult and strenuous hike before you head out there! Happy hiking and if I can give you one last tip before heading out to find this spot: don't drink milk before you go. 


Cheers, 
Shannon

Comments