My Havasupai Packing List (And What I Learned From Last Year’s Trip)

  If there’s anything I learned from backpacking to Havasupai last year, it’s that I packed wayyy too much stuff. If you know me, you know that I like food. If you’ve backpacked with me, you know that I like meal and snack options on the trail... most of which I never eat.
  Luckily, I’ve learned a thing or two since last year’s Havasupai trip and was able to decrease my pack weight by almost 10lbs. Yes, you read that right, I lightened my pack by about a 1 month old baby and it was mostly by keeping one thing in mind: Havasupai is a tourist destination. They have food down there, ya'll.
  There are food and water sources down in the canyon. There are places to charge your devices if you need to. There are ways to lighten your pack by A LOT if that’s something you’re interested in... but I do feel like my packing list is pretty middle-of-the-road “backpacking experience” meets “tourist hotspot” and, in the end, my pack weight around 27lbs for a 4 day/3 night trip. 


This was my pack before I started packing for Troy. I dropped the sleeping bag but he gained it!


Here is what I brought:

Clothes
  -Outfit I hiked in: sports bra, jean shorts, tank top, light jacket
  -Two swimsuits
  -Leggings (to sleep in)
  -Extra pair of socks
  -Extra pair of underwear
  -Running shorts (to hike out in)
*If you visit in the warmer months, you can totally get by for a couple days in a sports bra and swim bottoms or running shorts. The light jacket helped at night and during the initial part of the hike in. I could have definitely saved a few ounces by packing less clothes!

Food
  -Jet boil (no campfires allowed at Supai)
  -Breakfast for three days: breakfast bars
  -Lunch for four days: tuna in a pack, rice-a-toni, instant potatoes 
  -Dinner for four nights: backpackers pantry, backpacking meals, ramen
  -Snacks: beef jerky, chips, nuts
  -Extras: jalepeno peppers and taco bell hot sauce packets
  -Odor-resistant trash bag (instead of a rat sack, we used odor-resistant bags and the buckets that were available at the campsites... we got kind of lucky)

Hygiene/First Aid/Self Care
  -Toothbrush
  -Toothpaste
  -Diva cup (because you never know... or maybe you do?)
  -Medications: plenty of ibuprofen and tylenol, some melatonin for sleep but I wish I would have brought night time tylenol like I did last year)
  -Biodegradable backpacking wipes: the campgrounds have toilets with toilet paper and hand sanitizer but its never a bad thing to bring a few wipes for that beautiful booty
  -Camping soap
  -Sunscreen
  -Duct tape (for all of our first aid needs)
  -Nail glue (for the rest of our first aid needs)
  -Tweezers (because I have a history of falling into cacti)

Sleep
  -Towel: okay, so I had read that it was super warm down there and a sleeping bag wasn't necessary so I decided that I'd be fine using my microfiber towel as a blanket... I was wrong... I was so wrong.
  -Hammock
  -Tree straps
  -Carabiners 

Photo
  -Canon Rebel T6
  -35mm f/2 prime lens
  -Two Extra batteries
  -Two ND Filters
  -64GB memory card
  -Tripod
  -Yi Lite Action Camera
  -32GB memory card
  -Two extra batteries
  -Waterproof casing
  -Two iPhone 6s (I have a backup... don't judge me!)
  -DJI Osmo Mobile

Extras
  -HEADLAMP! So necessary!!!
  -Anker portable charger (201000mAh - probably overkill but I LOVE this thing and take it everywhere)
  -String lights (to help identify our camp site at night/after night shooting)
  -Black light... you guys, if you want to be totally freaked out, get a black light and go shine it on the canyon walls at night... you're welcome (but really, it helps to check the campsite for scorpions)
  -Trekking poles: don't ask me which ones, I bought them for like $20 off of amazon (but if you ask me, I'll go look... I'm just lazy)
  -CASH: don't count on the credit card systems down there- BRING CASH!
  -ID: don't forget identification to check in as well as your confirmation email/number


Okay, I think that's it... but remember, the more people you go with, the more you can share with your group and the less you have to carry. For example, my husband carried extra fuel for our jet boil and our collapsable 5 gallon water container (and my sleeping bag because he knew we would need it). Our friends carried extra food. It was a team effort! Also, I was a psycho this time about bringing my photo gear. It was worth it in my opinion... I really wish I would have brought my 14mm lens instead of my 35mm but that's a lesson learned for next time... which will be in November! So hopefully I'll be even more prepared for then!

Is there anything I'm missing? I'm two whiskey's deep and totally not going to proofread this but if there is anything you can think of that I am missing or that you thought was vital to your Supai trip, shoot me a message here or on IG and I'll give you a shoutout in an edit!

-Shannon

Comments